Saving for Summer Vacation: A Guide
Ah, summer – the perfect time for families to pack their bags and hit the road. When school is out and the sun’s beating down, everyone else has the same idea, so to avoid packed vacation spots and sky-high prices, it’s best to save and plan ahead.
From dinner reservations and hotel rooms to museum tickets and travel fees, summer vacation expenses can add up fast. Origin is here to help, with tips to help you save up so you can de-stress during your vacation.
1. Trim the excess: Evaluate your monthly expenses and cut out what you don't need. Whether you cook your own meals instead of ordering takeout or make coffee at home instead of splurging on a latte, small changes can add up quickly and turn into big savings.
2. Shop smart: Buy what you need, not what you want. To scale back your spending, limit impulse buying. Make a list before shopping and stick to it. Look for sales and coupons to save even more. And before you make a purchase, ask yourself if you really need it or if it can wait until after your vacation.
3. Automate your savings: Set up an automatic transfer to a savings account each month to put your vacation funds on autopilot. Even small amounts will add up over time, and to make it even easier, sign up for Origin's Personal Financial Management Tool. It's available within Origin’s online banking and mobile app, and a great way to automate your savings and track your progress toward your goals. From automatically categorizing your expenses to creating a budget, Origin’s tools make saving easier than ever.
4. Plan ahead: You can score better deals on flights, accommodations, and activities when you book in advance. Research options, compare prices, and be open to alternatives to stretch your vacation budget even further. And if you want to spend and save at the same time, rack up travel rewards with Origin Bank’s Platinum Visa® Card.
5. Get creative: When you need to save up for a big trip, it’s time to get creative. Consider ways to earn extra income, like selling unused items online or organizing a yard sale. Not only will this declutter your home, but you can also use the money to pad your vacation fund. You can also take on a low-stakes side gig like dog walking, house cleaning, or babysitting to earn extra cash.
Summer vacations are a great way to make unforgettable memories with your loved ones, but it's important to plan ahead and save accordingly to avoid financial stress. At Origin Bank, we understand the importance of meeting your savings goals, and we’ve got the tools to help. Whether it's setting up automatic transfers, cutting back on expenses, or getting creative with your savings, every little bit helps. Contact Origin's Trusted Advisors today or visit our online financial resources page to learn more.